: The Church of St John the Evangelist. Norman fragments but largely a Victorian rebuild. It was in a ruinous state in the 1840s and was rebuilt between 1842 and 1843. Merrow was called Marewe in 1185 and no interpretation has ever been satisfactorily put on this name, it may refer to the marrow of the land being the best land for cultivation. The church stands at the junction of the Guildford to Leatherhead road on the north side and Trodds Lane outside the wall to the west. Trodds Lane roughly links the church to the next point on the line, Newlands Corner Barrow.
The church appears to stand on ground some 1.5-2.0 metres higher than its surroundings as can be seen from the above photograph looking uphill. The original Norman church would seem to be from the left-hand facade extending back to the tower. The 4 Druid Mile (DM) point on the NEWLANDS LINE lies on a tarmac surface just in front of and right of the most right-hand east-facing window, whereas the 7 DM point on the WAVERLEY LINE is well within the body of the church.
The church is very Victorian in appearance, both externally and internally, the only interest being the Norman north doorway (moved forward upon the construction of the north aisle in 1881) and the norman pillars to the south side of the nave. One of these pillars bears two carved pilgrim crosses possibly originating from the time of the pilgrimages to Canterbury.